The first military enclave was set up in this zone, the first place of conquest and the first European, centre of the Canary Islands archipelago. Yaiza is at the southern end of Lanzarote, sharing with Tinajo part of the Timanfaya National Park.
THE TOWN OF YAIZA
The town of Yaiza is located on the edge of the area that was covered by the volcanic eruptions of 1730 and 1736. In fact the main chronicle of the eruptions was told by Yaiza’s then parish priest, Andrés Lorenzo Curbelo. This is one of the best preserved towns of the Canary Island archipelago, and has received several prizes for its beauty, much appreciated by visitors as they walk along the very well-kept streets and among houses decorated with a variety of plants and flowers. Opposite the Town Hall is the parish church of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, patron saint of the town, whose holiday is celebrated on 8th September. Yaiza stands out among the island’s towns for its well-preserved landscape and its respect for traditional architecture.
PARQUE NACIONAL DE TIMANFAYA (TIMANFAYA NATIONAL PARK)
The space occupied by the park arises from the violent volcanic eruptions that occurred during the years 1730-1736, over six consecutive years, and later, in the 19th century, mainly in the year 1824.
- Montañas del Fuego. In the interior of this National Park can be found the chain of volcanoes that have produced the biggest eruptions and which are collectively known as the Montañas del Fuego.Once within the Montañas del Fuego, the sensation is of being in a startling and unforgettable landscape. The first point that we visit is the Islote de Hilario, a place where the underground temperature is 140ºC at a depth of just 10 cm. Here the visitor can participate in different geothermal experiments, as well as seeing the artificial geysers produced by tubes in the ground when cold water is thrown in them.On the Islote de Hilario, the artist César Manrique designed the Restaurante El Diablo which has a natural oven dug into the mountain where many of the dishes on the menu are cooked.The Islote de Hilario is the starting point of the Ruta de Los Volcanes (Volcanoes Route). This is a tour that offers the chance to see the most interesting places in the Park. Specially adapted buses take the visitor on a 14 km trip through the most geologically interesting volcanic areas with spectacular landscapes. During the visit the numerous volcanic alignments, lava tongues, hornitos and volcanic tubes that exist in the Park can be seen. + info
- Camel Ride. The “echadero de camellos” is located some 2 km from the entrance to the Montañas del Fuego. Here you can participate in a pleasant camel ride. Opening times: 09:00 to 16:00.
- Routes through the park. You can follow guided walking routes through the Parque Nacional de Timanfaya, all departing from the Visitors’ Centre.
- Contact Parque Nacional de Timanfaya.
+34 928 118 042
PAISAJE PROTEGIDO DE LA GERIA (La Geria Protected Landscape)
La Geria covers a wide area in central Lanzarote, occupied in part by recent lava flows from the 1730-36 eruptions, among which can be seen volcanic cones of various heights
The most distinctive uses of the space are the vineyards that take advantage of the lapilli to retain humidity to favour growth. This is a deeply rooted traditional practice in the culture of Lanzarote, and its continued existence relies on economic support to contribute to improving profitability. Various villages are located in the area, and associated with them are traditional vegetable gardens. A network of tracks and tarmacked roads connects the villages with those of the surrounding areas and makes it possible to explore the protected area. Along the way you will find several bodegas (wineries) where you can sample the wines of the area.
CHARCO DE LOS CLICOS (Los Clicos Lagoon)
The interior of the large crater open to the sea and known as El Golfo is most notable for the Lago Verde (Green Lake) or the Charco de Los Clicos, which has been formed by the appearance of sea water on the surface, due to the unique topography of the terrain.
- El Golfo. Next to this spectacular natural feature is El Golfo, a small fishing village with a good variety of restaurants right on the sea front.
This is a stretch of rugged coastline featuring the presence of caves and blowholes formed by the volcanic eruptions of 1730-1736 and sculpted by the erosion of the sea that here beats against the coastline with particular virulence.
SALINAS DE JANUBIO (Janubio Salt Marshes)
At the end of the 19th century, the ingenuity of the people of Lanzarote led to the creation of a type of salt marsh known as “mud salt marsh lined with stone”, which used wells and windmills, making it possible to break the immediate dependence on the coastline.
The Salinas de Janubio were built in 1895, but at the start of the 20th century (1915) they were improved and enlarged to reach their current state. They are located in Janubio, between Punta del Volcán and Risco de la Caletita, and cover an area of 44 hectares, of which 23 are heating areas and 21 are evaporating areas.
CALAS DE PAPAGAYO (Papagayo Coves)
Some of the best beaches on the island can be found within the Monumento Natural de Los Ajaches. Papagayo is the best known and most visited, but it is not the only one – Las Mujeres beach is also known for its archaeological remains. All have golden sand and calm waters and are perfect for enjoying a day at the beach surrounded by nature.
MONUMENTO NATURAL DE LOS AJACHES (Los Ajaches Natural Monument)
This is an ancient volcanic massif whose origin is dated to the Late Miocene, some 15 million years ago; these are therefore the oldest materials that make up the island. It was declared a Natural Monument in 1994.
Throughout the area, flat areas (Llanura del Rubicón) alternate with very steeply sloped raised areas which correspond to the mountain massif itself. Its coastline is of special interest to tourists as it features cliffs interspersed with wonderful coves and almost virgin beaches. It is the perfect place for hiking, and there are abundant information panels next to the area controlling access and along the perimeter of the monument.
- Puerto Calero : This marina offers a pleasant place to stroll and is equipped with a wide variety of stores and restaurants. + info
- Marina Rubicón : This marina offers a pleasant place to stroll and is equipped with a wide variety of stores and restaurants. + infohttp://www.marinarubicon.com/en/home/